November 6, 2013

Sing in Church, You Won't Regret It

I was able to have 5 hours of non-children bliss last Sunday.  No snotty noses using my person as a kleenex. No sticky fingers desecrating my already stained clothes. No head butting me in the face. No screaming, crying, coughing, whining, pouting, and the like. I will admit, it was enjoyable.


This is what I'm talkin' about folks
Little Goob not feeling well














I tried to get Mr Medic to trade staying home with sickies halfway through church, but he said "You need it more than I do" Im not sure if that was an insult or an...insult!  jk. Anyway...I knew I had to make his sacrifice to stay home worth it. To show my appreciation, I needed to be able to perform the coming week as if I'd had a weeklong vacation to the Bahamas. I needed to be patient, sweet, and pleasant.  I sat quietly asking Heavenly Father to help me do this. 

We sang the opening hymn, "Lead, Kindly, Light" and as I belted out the words (yes I actually do that when I can hold the hymnal and follow along without distraction)  the line "I love to choose and see my path; but now, lead thou me on!" pierced my heart.  

I've sung this song countless times, but never before had that line been important to me.  I sat thinking, "Am I going to be the person who makes my own choices without thought of what the Lord wants...the person who has to see what's ahead without stepping forward?  Or am I the patient, humble, and willing person who allows the Lord to direct me?"

I took some time to search the scriptures for additional support of the idea of being lead.  I came across this gem:
"And ye cannot bear (cross referenced to mean understand) all things now; nevertheless, be of good cheer, for I will lead you along. The kingdom is yours and the blessings thereof are yours, and the riches of eternity are yours." -Doctrine and Covenants 78:18
 It wasn't a direct answer to my plea to be patient and more pleasant at home, although I do believe letting the Lord lead me will give me sufficient practice in being patient, but it was an answer to many situations in life right now.

Even though I do not understand the reason for all things I still need to be happy and allow the Lord to lead me on a path toward lasting joy.

I felt at peace and I can honestly say I was pretty patient, sweet, and pleasant to these fellas for 4 WHOLE DAYS...all because I sang in church ;)

1 comment:

  1. So good! I love that hymn. That line has made me think twice, particularly when we were (and as we continue) struggling with infertility. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete