March 14, 2013

If I Were a Rich Man

Scripture of the Day:  "But the laborer in Zion shall labor for Zion; for if they labor for money they shall perish." 2 Nephi 26:31 -The Book of Mormon

First I have to start by saying, I hope I'm rich someday!  Does that sound totally snobby?  As soon as I read this verse I was reminded of an experience I had long ago.

I was traveling a long distance with a friend and he told me that he wanted to be rich.  As soon as I heard him say that I thought he was a total jerk.  Thankfully, he quickly put me in my place.  I can't remember the exact verse he shared with me, but these will suffice:

"And also, ye yourselves will succor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish." (Mosiah 4:16 -The Book of Mormon)

"...I would that ye should impart of your substance to the poor, every man according to that which he hath, such as feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and administering to their relief, both spiritually and temporally, according to their wants." (Mosiah 4:26 -The Book of Mormon)

Doesn't seem so snobby to want to be rich does it?  After this friend helped me to realize why it might be helpful to have money, I've been of the same mindset.  I've always found great joy in serving others, but it wasn't till I served a full-time 18 month mission for my church that I realized what an impact I could have on others.  It's since been my dream to have money to do good.  I've imagined the many missions I would be able to go on with my sweetheart, the financial support we would provide to a young person who had a desire to serve a mission, but not the means, etc.

There's so much good that can come from having money.  It's all a matter of what we do with it. Are we laboring to build Zion, or for our own personal gain?

In the meantime while we are still poor college students, I take comfort in this:

"...I mean all you who deny the beggar, because ye have not; I would that ye say in your hearts that: I give not because I have not, but if I had I would give." (Mosiah 4:24 -The Book of Mormon)

What a great opportunity to expand our vision and find other means by which we can give until that day when we are able to give financially.





No comments:

Post a Comment