March 18, 2013

Charity in Heart, Words, and Actions

Scripture of the Day:  "Forasmuch as this people draw near unto me with their mouth, and with their lips do honor me, but have removed their hearts far from me..." -2 Nephi 27:25 (The Book of Mormon)

I need to keep doing a little more studying on this because to me it sounds as if this is a warning, but I can't find the consequence.

Anyway, this portion of the verse made me wonder where my heart is.  Are my words and actions portraying what I really feel in my heart?  Am I speaking or acting in a way that makes me appear as if my heart is in the right place when it isn't?  

Did you know that asking questions is a vital part of learning and great study tool?  

By stopping frequently during study to ask yourself questions it can:

  • promote deeper thought
  • show the Lord you are open for inspiration
  • cause you to try to find answers to your questions 

Questions will inevitably result in greater study sessions.

Questions to ask myself about this verse:

-How can I ensure my heart is in the right place?
-Once I know my heart is in the right place, how do I make my words and actions match?

I think charity might be a great answer to both questions.  Charity is the pure love of Christ.  If my heart is filled with Christ's love then I can be sure my motives and intentions are appropriate, and my heart is in the right place.  And it seems only logical that when our hearts are filled with charity our actions and words will match our heart.

Charity is an attribute that seems impossible to obtain, but it can be developed over time.

Moroni 7:48 says this:  "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love [charity], which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ"

As we strive to develop charity we are promised this:
You will come to feel a sincere concern for the eternal welfare and happiness of other people. You will see them as children of God with the potential of becoming like our Heavenly Father, and you will labor in their behalf. You will avoid negative feelings such as anger, envy, lust, or covetousness. You will avoid judging others, criticizing them, or saying negative things about them. You will try to understand them and their points of view. You will be patient with them and try to help them when they are struggling or discouraged. Charity, like faith, leads to action. You will develop charity as you look for opportunities to serve others and give of yourself.  -Preach My Gospel: A Guide to Missionary Service
I like how the above quote talks about avoiding negative feelings.  Our heart is where feelings come from.  When our feelings are positive we can be sure our heart is in the right place.


No comments:

Post a Comment