March 12, 2013

Grace

Scripiture of the day:  "For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." -2 Nephi 25:23

I think I want to take this scripture one bit at a time.

First the idea of laboring diligently.  This scripture is specifically talking about being diligent in keeping a record that man may be persuaded to believe in Christ.  I believe that the idea of laboring diligently at anything good will inevitably bring about these same results.  If we labor diligently to keep the commandments our children will be persuaded to believe in Christ the same as we do.  See what I mean?

This verse also reminds me how important it is that we bring our children, friends, family, neighbors etc to God, in other words missionary work.  In the particular area that I live it would seem that everyone already knows and believes in God and doesn't need me to tell them.  Even if that truly is the case, I think the most positive influence I can have on people around me is simply by acting as the Savior would.  Someone may not be gravely estranged from Him, but they may have lost sight of who they are and what they have the potential to become.  In those cases my actions and kind deeds will help them be reminded, and re-connected to the Savior and His loving guidance.

Finally, I've been thinking about grace.  What is it really?

Sources about grace:  This and this.

Here is a great explanation: (this source is also a really good read)

“It is through the grace of the Lord Jesus, made possible by his atoning sacrifice, that mankind will be raised in immortality, every person receiving his body from the grave in a condition of everlasting life. It is likewise through the grace of the Lord that individuals, through faith in the atonement of Jesus Christ and repentance of their sins, receive strength and assistance to do good works that they otherwise would not be able to maintain if left to their own means. This grace is an enabling power that allows men and women to lay hold on eternal life and exaltation after they have expended their own best efforts.”
"Grace is the divine assistance or heavenly help each of us desperately needs to qualify for the celestial kingdom. Thus, the enabling power of the Atonement strengthens us to do and be good and to serve beyond "our own individual desire and natural capacity."

Grace is an enabling power.

Grace is something that can easily be misunderstood in the scriptures.  The Bible especially makes references that make it seems as if all we have to do is believe in Christ and we are saved.  The above links will give insight on that.

I like to think of it this way:  Grace is a gift, and sometimes a gift requires more than just a grateful heart.  It requires action on our part.  To me action shows true appreciation.  Actions that show we are grateful for the grace of God include- prayer, keeping the commandments, treating others as you would like to be treated, strengthening your brother, and so much more.

Sometimes these actions can seem impossible to do, but I find that when I am anxiously engaged in good works I am happy with who I am and see others and the Savior does.  His grace enables me to do my very best!

HIS GRACE IS SUFFICIENT 







No comments:

Post a Comment