March 26, 2013

Daily Doubles

One of my weight loss goals, to do a short morning workout and then a longer one in the evening every day- is what I will refer to as Daily Doubles.
As Jillian says, she's "TV's toughest trainer"  hahaha
Yesterday was the first of many more.  I have to be honest I didn't want to do it.  I tried to do a workout video yesterday morning, but Twodles kept yelling at me "NO MOOOOOM, WE ARN DOIN DAT!"  Apparently he doesn't realize that I've set some goals!

Today was even more difficult with Goob crawling all over me.  In order to work up a sweat or elevate my heart rate without having to stop every five seconds to fend off the "extra help" I've decided that I will have to wait till Goob is down for his morning nap.

You see, the whole idea behind doing a morning workout is to exercise before you eat.  You burn more fat that way.  There is much talk over whether this is a valid method or not.  In the articles I have seen, exercising in a "fasted state" is not beneficial for athletes (as they probably don't have much fat to lose, and need the fuel to reach optimal performance) But for those looking to lose weight it seems to be legit.
For one, as has been known for some time, exercising in a fasted state (usually possible only before breakfast), coaxes the body to burn a greater percentage of fat for fuel during vigorous exercise, instead of relying primarily on carbohydrates. (source found here)
Seems easy enough right?  Well, my only problem is that Goob doesn't go down till around 9am.  That has proved quite difficult since I am up for at least an hour or more before I can even start the workout.  Not only will I be so super hungry, but it gives me ample time to convince myself I don't need to do it.

Good thing I have such an awesome cheerleader. Twodles always encourages me to exercise, and even does it right along with me most mornings, for a few minutes anyway.  He has even settled into the little routine we have of exercising first and then getting to watch a short PBS show while I hop in the shower.
Love his little tongue sticking out

No comments:

Post a Comment