November 18, 2012

Twisted Tortilla Soup

Sometimes I cook by looking at a recipe and then doing pretty much my own thing.  Does that make me seem more Betty-Homemaker?  I think so!

Here's one of those times-

Ingredients:

1-2 Tbs Olive Oil
1 T Minced Garlic
1/4-1/2 onion diced
1/2 packet of taco seasoning
Cumin, Salt, Pepper, and Hot Sauce of choice to taste
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 bag frozen corn, or 1 can drained
1 large can all white chicken drained, or you can cook and shred some (I'm just lazy trying to give the most undivided attention to my children possible)
1 can diced tomatoes (I like the kind with cilantro in it, but was fresh out and had to settle for the reg)
2-3 Cups warm water-dissolve one chicken bullion cube per cup of water.  (I find this cheaper than buying chicken stock, but it probably isn't as healthy.  If I do "splurge" and buy the stock or find it on sale, I make sure to get the low sodium one)
3/4 C Quinoa

Directions:

1.  In large saucepan sauté garlic and onion in oil oil until onions are translucent
2.  Add taco seasoning, cumin, salt, pepper, and hot sauce
3.  Stir in chicken stock
4.  Combine beans, corn, chicken, tomatoes and bring to a boil
5.  Add in Quinoa and continue to to boil on medium heat for approximately 14 minutes or follow time suggestions for Quinoa packaging.
6.  Season to taste once more if needed with any or all ingredients in #2

Serve with cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips

Quinoa isn't usually found in Tortilla Soup, so that's where the twist came in.  I found it to be quite good and I was really satisfied with the way it turned out.  Grammy always likes what I cook, so its no surprise she called with compliments, but even Mr Medic and Twodles ate it right up.  I wasn't even able to snap a picture before it was all gone so I guess I'll just have to make it again and add one later.

I am totally in to soups right now, so please share your favorite recipes in the comments below for everyone to enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment